Monday, March 28, 2011

Stop #12: 71st & Binford, Indianapolis (#142)

Stop #12 in this quest ended up being a stop just off Binford Boulevard in Indy, on March-24-or-March-25-depending-on-how-you-look-at-it.


Sadly, for the first time, Brett had to miss a trip. He wasn't feeling well.

So it was just me and Molly.

It was also nearly immediately following the Bulldogs' victory over Wisconsin. Thus the "GO BU!" on the sign.


They not only went to the Sweet Sixteen, they won their game there. So there was cause for excitement.

Of course, Molly and I don't get as much time to hang out and talk anymore now that we're not roomies, so in addition to talking about how adorable and awesome some ALL of the Butler basketball players are (over cheese fries and a Cherry Coke for Molly and a fish sandwich and fries for me), we got to catch up on such awesome topics as "Glee," vacations and the TSA, and, last but not least, how today is Thursday, and tomorrow is "Friday, Friday, Friday."



That is to say, we talked about Rebecca Black and this song she did that is pretty much atrocious. Though I'd like to make clear, I don't really think she's so awful, as the people at Ark Music Factory who actually wrote the song and then sold it to her for production. I actually kind of like her for saying she would donate the proceeds from the sale of the song to Japan relief efforts. Kinda makes me want to buy the track, even if all I do is drop it in my recycling bin afterward.

Plus, if you ask me, worse things have happened to the music industry. See: Ke$ha. See also, about 300 times more: Kim Kardashian. And as far as popular music goes, I would almost put Rebecca Black on par with Enrique Iglesias and his most current music -- both have melodies that are infectiously catchy with words that make you want to kick puppies. Seriously, now that I think about it, I might actually be more irritated with Enrique Iglesias right now, because the lyrics to such current hits as "I Like It" and "Tonight" are only moderately better than the lyrics to "Friday," but the music itself is even MORE infectious. I hate those lyrics and actually like those songs, so I'm forced to find myself driving along in Daisy St. Patience and singing along with "My girlfriend's out of town and I'm all alone, your boyfriend's on vacation and he doesn't have to know" and "Baby I like it! The way you move on the floor. Baby I like it! Come on and give me some more."

And damn. Now I have Enrique stuck in my head. That's exactly what I need right now ....

Other than the negative topics discussed Thursday night, I really enjoyed the Steak 'n' Shake on Binford. As least, the layout of the building. In part 'cause it seems to have some remnants of what inspired the "In Sight Must Be Right" slogan they've got. The bar is super-long and set up so that you can see them back there cooking, if you want. Even though we didn't sit where we could see them cooking our meat (or the non-meat, in my case), it was cool to look at the area.


And so we concluded the night with the "group pic" (containing all two of us) in front of that bar. Bonus points, we got the server and cook in the background, apparently.

4 comments:

  1. See also: comparing the lyrics to "Friday" to the lyrics of most Black Eyed Peas songs.

    Disclaimer: I've managed to avoid listening to "Friday" and YOU CAN'T MAKE ME.

    Sincerely, a Minnesotan who should go make dinner now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha, just wait until I ask the DJ to play it at my wedding reception ... then I'll make you! :-P

    ...okay, not really. I don't plan on having that played then. That would be ... stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, stupid. And all the other synonyms of "stupid" found in the thesaurus.

    Sincerely, a Minnesotan who is actually keeping up with the commentating this time around

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, that "Friday" song is awful, but honestly...I haven't heard Rebecca Black REALLY sing. For all I know she's actually talented and it's not really her fault that they auto tuned the sh*t out of her voice :-/

    ReplyDelete