Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Stop #7: Southport Crossing, Indianapolis (#249)

Stop #7 in the quest brought Brett and me to the Southport Crossing location on Thursday night, March 3.


Or Friday morning, March 4, depending on how you look at it. Personally, I don't count a day as ended until I've actually gone to bed. But I may be cheating in that regard.

It was just me and Brett for this particular excursion. And I got excited pretty much immediately when we walked into the building, because the Steak 'n' Shake on Southport Crossing has the "In Sight Must Be Right" slogan right over the counter at the front of the restaurant.

Really made me happy.


It was a pretty quiet night, so I decided to jazz things up a bit when it came to the food order. As you've probably noticed, if you have read much in this blog, I usually only order one of a very limited number of items on the menu. The Frisco melt has never let me down, and so I often go for that when I find myself in SnS, regardless of which SnS it is. Similarly, chicken strips, always reliable. Of course, cheese fries, also good, or just fries but with their seasoning salt. Grilled chicken salad -- actually, that one did let me down once. The last time I was actually sick, it was definitely the grilled chicken salad I'd had at the Steak 'n' Shake the night before. However, for all the times I've gotten the grilled chicken salad and had a grand experience (that's right, a grand experience), to have it be a negative experience just once -- I'm willing to take the risk again in the future.

(Of course, someone needs to remind me of this the next time I get food poisoning from a grilled chicken salad at Steak 'n' Shake, when I curl up into the fetal position on my bathroom floor because I'm afraid to crawl too far from the toilet should the urge to heave come up.)

At any rate, Thursday, I decided to shake it up by getting something new.

So I gave a shot to ... the Cheesy Cheddar Steakburger. And a junior M&M milkshake which, believe it or not, I have also never tried before. Blame it on my years of working at McDonald's and having free access to the M&M McFlurry.

And I gotta say, I wasn't three hundred percent pleased with it all. The milkshake was good enough, but the sandwhich was only all right. The cheddar definitely made it messier than it needed to be, and flavor-wise did not make up for that fact.

The fun thing is, the coupons I've got definitely make me more inclined to try new things, I've realized. Because, at a certain point, I run out of coupons for $3.99 Frisco-Melt-and-Fries. So I may be trying more things in the future.

Sadly, if I'm going to be utilizing coupons a lot (and let's face it: 70 Steak 'n' Shakes in a year, and I'm going to need to. I've got a decent job, but it's not THAT decent. And I've got a good second job, but it's not THAT good.), I need to start remembering to bring along my scissors. I forgot them Thursday night, so thank God Brett had his pocket knife.

See? Totally not kidding here.

Following my slightly disappointing Cheesy Cheddar Steakburger and totally pleasing fries, Brett ended up ordering a Fudge Brownie Sundae, mostly because I talked about how I'd had one at home basically every day for the past week due to my craving at the 71st and Woodland location that was never fulfilled.

This was fine by me, 'cause it meant I got a cherry.

Brett took this picture, and I love it because it's like a scary 3-D movie. I mean, really, doesn't look like I'm about to reach out of the photo with my extended Steak-n-Shake shake spoon and scoop the nose right off your face?

The exciting thing about the Southport Crossing trip was that it officially marked us being 1/10th of the way done with this venture.

I was pretty thrilled with this. After all, we've got a tenth done already! Seven, done! And only 63 to go!

Of course, Brett, being ever pessimistic and angry and bitter, had a different perspective on this milestone.

This is his "What? We still have 63 to go? We've only got seven done so far?" face. And, of course, underneath it all, anger. Lots of anger.

Still, I remain optimistic, and left the Southport Crossing Steak 'n' Shake in good spirits. Seven down and only 63 to go. And, I'd like to point out, with a tenth of them knocked out and us having been at this only since February 4, we will clearly finish this quest well within our year parameter, maybe even before the calendar year itself is out.

I apologize for photo quality there. Our server has apparently never used a camera before, 'cause Codee the Canon makes it hard for anyone to screw up a photo, even me. Yet here, she did.

2 comments:

  1. That pic of you with the cherry is actually REALLY good, like as a photograph :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the quest will go slower once you run out of Indianapolis locations and have to do trips to the further afield SnSes. Don't be so sure you're going to be done by Christmas-ish. :)

    Sincerely, a Minnesotan who wishes Minnesota was nearer to Indiana so she could crash, say, the Region SnSes (where Marcy lives, dear stalkers, remember?)

    ReplyDelete