Sunday, March 27, 2011

Stop #11: Plainfield (#251)

Stop #11 took us the Steak 'n' Shake in Plainfield on Saint Patrick's Day.


The day before, I got new coupons for Steak 'n' Shake in the mail. I was super-excited about them, until I got to the Steak 'n' Shake and looked at them more closely.


¡Tristeza! They are coupons for breakfast. Damn it. I will have to get up early enough to get the all-you-can-eat pancakes that I don't want because the only good pancakes are the ones made by my dad by a campfire.

Brett, too, was sad that there were no coupons for him to use. So I made a special one, just for him.


In my defense, Brett said he wanted a coupon for jumping in front of a moving truck. So that's what I made. Which he apparently did not really want, as he crumpled it up moments later.

It was a good night, 'cause for once we didn't have to go at 1 in the morning when I got out of work -- we were on Spring Break and I decided to take some vacation.

We ordered (onion rings with honey mustard and a somewhat disappointing strawberry milkshake for me), and as we waited, Emily and I did some knitting.


This is not the first time I've been crafty at Steak 'n' Shake. Once upon a time (in May 2009), I met up with some friends from Purdue's marching band at the Nora Steak 'n' Shake when they came down to do the parade for the Indy 500.

Me sewing in the Nora SnS, circa 2009.

I was trying to finish sewing a cover to a CD case. I eventually finished it and it's probably my favorite travel CD case. Granted, the only alternative I have to it is a hand-me-up plastic case, decorated in purple and butterflies and designed to look like something brought to you by Lisa Frank. Still, I like my skulls-and-roses CD case very much.

Sadly, I don't think I'm as good at knitting while hanging out at steak 'n' Shake as I am at sewing while hanging out there, at least not yet. Maybe because with sewing there's that incentive of not stabbing myself with a needle that will actually draw blood. Knitting needs simply aren't as dangerous. After all, when I was eight and my grandma got concerned that I lost, somewhere in the house, a needle she had let me borrow to work on a project, it wasn't a knitting needle she was concerned I would step on and then have go directly into my blood stream which would eventually take it to my heart and kill me dead.

As a result, I got distracted by Brett's killer teddy bear game on his cell phone.

And by "killer teddy bear," I mean teddy bears that kill. Not killer in the "these teddy bears are AWESOME!" sense. Though I guess that teddy bears that kill are pretty awesome in their own right -- right?

While Brett used teddy bears to kill ... other teddy bears, I guess? ... and Emily knitted, and I got distracted, Nathan and Josh were busy too.

Apparently they were texting each other. I really hope they weren't sexting. Though, I guess if they were, at least they weren't doing it while they were driving. That's probably dangerous on TWO levels.

It was a fun night, and we were out of there before it was technically Friday, for once!


Although apparently most of us should have been pinched for not wearing green.

2 comments:

  1. You're very behind on posting about visits. St Patrick's Day was 10 days ago!

    That is all.

    Sincerely, a Minnesotan who was impressed that Brad Stevens was STILL trending on Twitter in Minneapolis (of all places) earlier today

    ReplyDelete
  2. That story about stepping on a needle and it getting into your bloodstream must be something that the older generations felt the need to pass along. I vividly remember my Granny telling me the same thing!

    ReplyDelete