Friday, August 5, 2011

Stop #30: Meijer Way, Lafayette (#266)

Stop #30 allowed me to finish out the Steak 'n' Shakes in Lafayette.


Stop #30 will also be known from now as "Mizener's Last Stand," as Mizener is leaving for Tejas this Sunday, which will probably prevent him from attending much more of the quest, in part because he won't be in Indiana anymore, and in part because he'll be in Texas, where there is a sad lack of Steak 'n' Shakes: only 19, concentrated in the Dallas, Austin, and Houston areas.


For his last stand, Mizener decided to try the Steakburger Royale, which he really enjoyed.

I, on the other hand, decided to go healthy ...

If you ignore the dressing, that is.

... then unhealthy.

It's not just any Double Steakburger and Fries.
That's a Double Steakburger and ROGUE CHEESE with Fries.

All this was joined in my belly by a Cherry Coke.

While hanging out at the Steak 'n' Shake on Meijer Way, Mizener and I befriended our waiter, Adam, who was awesome in part because he at least feigned interest in the quest -- though I'm tempted to say it wasn't fake interest, as he kept coming back to our table with different questions, including some related to the scariness of Steak 'n' Shakes in Indianapolis. I mentioned the stop at Post & 25th, but clarified that other than that, Indianapolis isn't so bad.

Adam also qualifies as one of the most awesome servers ever because he, too, plays sax.

"Oooh, which flavor?" I asked.

And, like me, he has played all the main ones. Though I guess I neglected to ask his primary, so I have no idea if he is indeed among my alto brethren, or just a tenor cousin.

All the same, I made him be in a picture with me. Just for playin' sax. See people? This is what you get when you're cool, and you play a sax. You get to hang with other cool people.


Of course, this got us all into a conversation about band jokes. Adam had not heard most of the ones that Mizener and I shared, so we ended up writing them down for him to keep permanently.


For the rest of you readers, who also love band jokes, I'm including a short collection here:

How do you get a trombone to sound like a French horn?
Stick your hand in the bell and play a lot of wrong notes.


How do you tune two flutes?
Shoot one.


What's the difference between a saxophone and a lawnmower?

You can tune a lawnmower.


What do trumpet players use for birth control?

Their personalities.


Three drummers are in the back of a car -- who's driving?

The cop.


Two tubas walk by a bar.

It COULD happen.


What's the difference between an onion and an oboe?

No one cries when you chop up an oboe.


What's the difference between a dead trombonist in the road and a dead country singer in the road?

The country singer may have been on his way to a recording session.


What do you call someone who hangs around with musicians?

A drummer.

What did the timpanist get on his IQ test?
Drool.

How do you make a chain saw sound like a bari sax?
Add vibrato.


What do you call a bass clarinetist with half a brain?

Gifted.


Speaking of bass clarinetists, Brett suffered a joke while Mizener and I were out. I had been telling Mizener about some of the inappropriateness that had gone on at a family bridal shower the previous weekend -- namely inappropriateness involving the male organ, or items containing the image of one -- which brought up the Penis Game, which Mizener hadn't heard of.

"You haven't heard of the Penis Game?" I was appalled. "How could you not know about the Penis Game? Brett plays it a lot!"

"No, that's called masturbation," Mizener clarified.

I suppose it's a good thing that I didn't get around to adding that Fiancé likes to play the Penis Game all too frequently, too.

Also, for those unfamiliar with the Penis Game, it is definitely not a code word for masturbation -- probably because most people realize that that would be a terrible code word for such an activity. To play, you and whoever your playing with basically alternate turns saying "Penis," getting progressively louder until someone is shamed into not saying it again, meaning s/he loses.

An awesome place to try to play this game? Church. Not that I ever have. Though Brett probably has.

Unfortunately, Mizener and I did have to leave earlier than I would have liked to -- I had to drive back to Indy, and we wanted to squeeze a couple episodes of "How I Met Your Mother" in before I headed out.

So we got the Awesome Adam to take our picture, and headed out.


Thanks Adam! You rock! Best server ever? Definitely up there!

1 comment:

  1. How do you know if the stage is level?
    The drummer is drooling out of both sides of his mouth.

    Sincerely, a Minnesotan who prefers to call herself a percussionist

    ReplyDelete