Thursday, August 25, 2011

I dream of Steak 'n' Shake

Sometimes I find reason to post that isn't an actual stop at Steak 'n' Shake.

For example, a few nights back, I had a dream about Steak 'n' Shake. And not just a dream where I happened to be at Steak 'n' Shake -- that would feel like no big deal. I often dream about places where I happen to spend a lot of my time -- the library, the lotion store, misery.
I must say, though, that it's a bit strange to dream not just about being in the place, but about the menu -- specifically, something on the menu I've never had before.

My dream started with me entering a Steak 'n' Shake. I don't really know which one. But it was probably in Indiana.

Once I got there, I found Mizener, along with a bunch of people from Purdue. They were having something like a going away party for Mizener, since he was leaving for Texas, and I was actually kind of upset that no one had called me to come join.

Once I walked in the door, though, they waved me over to join. I was making my way there when I noticed a coworker, Heather, sitting at a table in another part of the dining room. She was there with about four other women. I went over to say hi to them, and they invited me join at an empty seat at their table.

I sat down. Pretty quickly, a waitress came out to take my order -- everyone else at the dable was already eating -- and I asked for the blueberry pancakes, something I've been wanting to try but so far haven't actually awaken early enough to order.

After a moment or two, the pancakes came out, and they were glorious, but not exactly what I had anticipated. Instead of being pancakes with blueberries in them, the pancakes were standard pancakes -- but they came with not plain butter, but a butter-blueberry blend of amazingness that I wanted to buy in a bottle and bring home to use on my own pancakes. Or just guzzle.

Heather and her friends chatted with me, but I frankly don't remember what we chatted about 'cause I was so engrossed in blueberry pancakes. I hope for all our sakes that the conversation did not result in a solution to bring world peace, with me as the one taking minutes for our little meeting, 'cause the U.N.'s going to be dumping large vats of buttery-blueberry syrup on the world if that's what it comes down to.

1 comment:

  1. And by "haven't actually awaken early enough to order," you mean "haven't actually stayed up late enough to order." Right?

    Sincerely, a Minnesotan who needs to get away from her computer and go get ready for work

    ReplyDelete