Monday, November 21, 2011

Stop #40: Ireland, South Bend (#225)

With class canceled on Friday a couple weeks ago, it seemed a terribly appropriate time to make a trip to a Steak n' Shake that was a good distance away.

And so, I headed to South Bend. Which is decidedly north.


Stop numero uno (and #40 in this quest) for the day took me to the location on Ireland, where I met up with my friend, Kate.

I got a California Double Steakburger and fries.


Meanwhile, Kate got the Chili 5-Way and the world's most crooked milkshake.


Seriously, it came in a crooked glass.


Need more proof? I shall use terrible paint editing to prove my point, the same as the paranoid folk who see inappropriate sexual references in every single Disney movie ever.

That milkshake's as crooked as a Chicago politician!
As crooked, but more tasty!
Not that I would know from experience or anything.

I've got to say, this Steak n' Shake had one of the most interesting interiors to date.

First off, the bar was pretty cool. It didn't have an angled corner or anything.


And then there were mirrors, where most Steak n' Shakes have only windows.

Mirrors that looked almost two-way to me.

It's called "Marcy's attempt at being discreet."

One of the servers, Angela, told me that they're not -- that the mirrors are there instead of windows because the district manager's office is back there.

Frankly, though, that makes me more suspicious, and the fact that I didn't get to go test my theory didn't help, either.

Angela made me a little sad, not only for denying that the mirrors were two-way, but also because, upon hearing about my quest and how far I'd gotten so far, she stated that the 30 I had left was "a lot."

Frankly, that might be true, but considering I've got 40 out of the way, more than half and 10 more than how many remain, it was a bit discouraging.

Thankfully, the guy that I presume was the manager due to his attire was more supportive. Dude Looks Like a Brian, as I will call him because, well, he looked like a Brian (and lacked a name tag, so I had to fill it in myself), actually seemed excited about the quest.

He was also happy to take our group picture for the shot.


Just before he recommended a Steak n' Shake in Michigan City, putting me frighteningly close to that city with politicians whose crookedness rivals the South Bend milkshake's.

5 comments:

  1. Can the Minnesotan inquire as to what, exactly, Ireland, South Bend means? South Bend is a city, Ireland is a country...

    Sincerely, a Minnesotan who is usually fairly decent with her geography

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha -- Ireland is the name of the road this particular SnS is on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent!

    Sincerely, a Minnesotan who is much less confused now :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay I forget...are you trying to finish the remaining S-n-S's before January 1st of next year? Or do you have a little more time than that? regardless...good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shooting for within a year; I started February 4ish, so I'm trying to be done by February 4 of 2012.

    I'm definitely going to be getting down to the wire on that ... but I still feel like it's doable. :-D

    ReplyDelete