Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Stop #18: Mishawaka (#226)

Last week, I somewhat randomly and fairly spontaneously decided to take a trip.


No, not that far south. In fact, not even south, though where I did go may be deceptively named to make you believe so.

Where did I go?

South Bend, Indiana. Which is, as referenced, actually north.

So I went to the Steak 'n' Shake in South Bend?

No, I went to the one in Mishawaka. Which is close to South Bend.


More importantly: why?

Well, let me tell you.

I'm a member of the Seether forums, and received an email from the site mid-finals week saying that at their upcoming concert in South Bend (and at one in Cincinnati, but that's Ohio, so really, is it worth mentioning? Because it's Seether, actually, it is.), they would be making a live recording, available to fans and concert-goers almost immediately after the show.

And so I pondered.
Seether? A favorite band of all time? Yes please.
South Bend? Where awesome friend and long-time cohort, Kyanne, lives? Yes please.
Concert? Like I haven't been to since September? Yes please.
Recording? So I can listen again and again? Yes please.

And so I called up Kyanne and asked if she was game, and bought tickets. Well, after she said yes.

And so we (along with another friend I know through Kyanne, Ankit), went to see Seether:


... along with My Darkest Days and Red Jumpsuit Apparatus.

And following the concert (which was fantastic, I must add), we found ourselves at a Steak 'n' Shake, which Kyanne had initially thought was the South Bend Steak 'n' Shake until our waiter, Lawrence, clarified that we were actually in Mishawaka, and there was another Steak 'n' Shake nearby in South Bend, as well as yet another in Roseland. Or Rosemont. Rose something. And someday, I'll look at my checklist and verify which one it is, and go there. Probably with Kyanne and Ankit again.

We ordered our food (a Frisco melt and cheese fries for me), and got to our artwork.

First, Kyanne added the best bit of artwork of the night, to the Mishawaka sign:


Then the had to explain to Ankit that it was a weasel.


Why a weasel? Well, once upon a time, Kyanne and I wrote fantastic stories to keep ourselves entertained. The first one really was an attempt at writing something good. But ultimately, they really were just excellent entertainment for us while we got through high school only moderately scathed.

However, Kyanne and I really did make attempts at artwork.


First, I drew a picture of the concert experience we had just had.


That's Ankit, Kyanne, me, and a guy we've decided to call Creepy Scott, standing behind a really tall guy (the guy seriously had a foot and a half on me, and was as broad as a house) who was totally blocking the view of Shaun Morgan and John Humphrey. (The view of Dale Stewart was blocked by the fact that he wasn't included in this bit of art because I ran out of room.)

This is, perhaps surprisingly, not the first time that Seether has appeared in a bit of SnS artwork.

Jay's picture of Shaun Morgan for me as a gift preceding
our attendance at a Seether concert in the fall of 2008.

This picture, of course, has resided on my refrigerator ever since.

And, of course, there was additional artwork or our predicted rocking-out-ness at that show.

At any rate. Kyanne's artwork was far superior to mine.


She decided to draw the three of us at Steak 'n' Shake, drawing pictures. Which means the picture that art-Kyanne is drawing is a picture of us drawing, which contains a picture of us drawing, which, of course, also contains a picture of us drawing.

Finally, the night drew to a close. However, it was suggested in the previous post that that I photoshop Brett into group pictures from here on out, so here's an attempt at that:


Then Kyanne suggested that I actually photoshop Brett in as all of us, and so with some assistance from my soon-to-be-family Emily, that attempt was made also:


The final photoshop suggestion from the last post was to make it a game of "Where's Waldo?" but with Brett instead. Because I'm a fan of alliteration, we're going to go with "Catch Caragher!", and yes, Brett has been photoshopped into one of these pictures in a hidden manner, complete with Waldo hat. Find him first, and you get cheese fries or a milkshake or something on me at the next Steak 'n' Shake stop you attend. If you're with me, I mean.

But of course, we did have a normal group shot. 'Cause in addition to alliteration, I'm a fan of tradition.

4 comments:

  1. You could also draw a picture of Brett at every SnS that he doesn't attend. Soul optional, of course.

    Sincerely, a Minnesotan who Caught Caragher, even if it required her to blow up all the pictures to actual size

    ReplyDelete
  2. (a) I love that you took my suggestion.

    (b) I caught him too! :D

    (c) that one picture of the three of you with his photoshopped crazy face off to the left is pretty awesome. haha

    http://aserendipitouslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are disturbing and yet fun all at the same time

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becca and Kyanne win this challenge! You guys seriously told me where you Caught Caragher at the same time, just in different places. :)

    ReplyDelete