Sunday, May 8, 2011

Stop #17:: 96th Street & Keystone, Indianapolis (#572): The Last Hurrah of The Brett

Steak 'n' Shake Stop #17, or what will henceforth be known as The Last Hurrah of The Brett, took us to the Steak 'n' Shake on 96th Street near Keystone (also near the H.H. Gregg, which is probably better directional advice than an intersection in this case) in the wee morning hours of May 5, 2011.


I've got to say, this Steak 'n' Shake has by far the most interesting exterior I've seen so far in this quest.


Yes, my life is sad enough that I'm reduced to evaluating the exteriors of Steak 'n' Shakes. Point out any more flaws in my life and I may be forced to do something drastic. Like go to Denny's. Where I will consume something that will give me a heart attack about seven minutes after I've finished it.

This trip was slightly sad because it was, as the above indicates, The Last Hurrah of The Brett. Because on Friday, Brett moved to Wisconsin. So you will no longer see this face


or this face


or even this face


around these here parts anymore.

At least, not with any regularity. Unless I photoshop him in.

As mentioned, we went in the wee hours of the morning of May 5, meaning it would have been completely understandable if we decided to get our Cinco de Mayo partying on super early.

However, rather than celebrating the way it seems most people my age like to celebrate, I went for something different.


A Guacamole Steakburger and fries, complete with coupon!

Yes, I know -- this something different is actually totally the same for me. I also got a kid-sized chocomazing, so hey, that's sort of new. Considering I haven't had one since more than 40 days ago.

This Steak 'n' Shake trip was fun in part because Brett spent much of the time blaspheming. I imagine Wisconsin is getting to him already. It'll happen.

It was all right though, 'cause the blaspheming and religious talk gave me the perfect opportunity to bring up Lady Gaga's newest song, "Judas," which meant we got to talk about Lady Gaga, which somehow led us to Justin Beiber and then, inevitably, Rebecca Black.

And really, how can anyone's day get any better?

The other great thing about this Steak 'n' Shake trip was the awesome booth inside.


Our server didn't seat us there, but Zach and I snuck over shortly before we left because we were so excited about the semi-circle booth.


It was pretty much the coolest thing I'd seen all night, which is saying a lot because ... I take that back. It's not saying much, 'cause I saw a lot of nothing terribly interesting all night.

In short, it was a fun, but pretty uneventful, stop in the quest. And though it was slightly sad because Brett would be leaving for Wisconsin soon (and Zach for home, followed by grad school in Bloomington), we all know it's not the end of the world. Because Brett won't be able to resist coming back. And Zach's in a town that apparently has three Steak 'n' Shakes, all of which I still have to hit.

And so friend Zach, we will see you again, and soon.


I'm pretty sure as we took this group picture, Brett was staring at the Takhomasak 'cause he knew he would need to take home a sack. And by that I mean, a lot of sacks. Of a lot of food. To get him through the next year of being in Wisconsin, where they have no Steak 'n' Shakes.

Yes, Brett: I am going to keep reminding you of that major thing missing from Wisconsin, the WHOLE TIME YOU ARE THERE.

4 comments:

  1. Whoever shall be your companion on your late night SnS runs now?!

    Sincerely, a Minnesotan who just made a connection between your blog and Doctor Who and will have to think this out a bit more

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, do they really have no Stea N Shakes in Wisconsin?

    I actually look forward to seeing your photoshop skills as you add Brett to photos. Maybe you could even do a Where's Waldo type thing with it!haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becca -- what's the connection between Doctor Who and this blog? You must tell me! Because I must tell a friend who loves that Doctor! :)

    Tara -- nope, unless the SnS website has lied to me again (and it has in the past) -- looks like the closest one is in Machesney Park, Illinois.

    And as for the Where's Waldo -- oh em gee. I don't know if I could make it "Where's Brett?" because I like the alliteration of "Where's Waldo?" -- so I may have to try and do something else for a name for that feature. BUT ... fantastic idea. Now I must ponder where to hide his face. And which face to hide. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. (I had to rethink about this, because I had forgotten I'd made that comment.) Nothing ridiculous, just the Doctor in Doctor Who always seems to have a companion. Thus, perhaps, you're the Doctor Who of Steak 'n Shakes and now that you've lost your first companion, you need another one to finish out the rest of the series. Or something.

    Although it's kinda sad that instead of all of time and space to travel, you only have the Steak 'n Shakes of Indiana. But, we do all work within our means.

    If you had a crazy hat, that'd be a bonus. Like a fez.

    Sincerely, a Minnesotan who is so dorky she now has a TARDIS necklace (get your Doctor loving friend to explain what a TARDIS is to you if you don't know)

    ReplyDelete