Sunday, February 20, 2011

Stop #4: Steak 'n' Shake @ 71st & Woodland (#29)

Thursday the 17th, Destination Steak 'n' Shake was on the Northwest side of Indy, at 71st and Woodland.


Unfortunately, I did not realize until after I took this picture that there were two Steak 'n' Shakes on 71st -- one on the West side, one on the East side. But this one is definitely the one on the West side, at 71st and Woodland.

It was a fun adventure, because Kate! joined us. Yes. I spell Kate!'s name with an exclamation point. 'Cause that's how she makes me feel. But for the record -- that is not the legal way to spell it.

It was also a fun adventure, 'cause it was the first time we'd gone to this Steak 'n' Shake. Up to now, all the Steak 'n' Shakes we've hit up have been ones that we have gone to in the past, whether with regularity or not. But 71st and Woodland, that was new. And thus, adventure! We could have gotten lost! Or died! But instead, we made it! The thought of how close we were to danger really gets your blood pumping, doesn't it?

It was definitely not the best Steak 'n' Shake I've ever been to, though. For starters, when we ordered our food, Brett and Kate! ordered milkshakes as well, but our waitress (according to my receipt, her name was Holly) completely forgot about them. Brett and Kate! had to order them a second time before the milkshakes were actually made and brought out.

Then, once the milkshakes were done and out, I stole Brett's cherry.


Also his whipped cream, 'cause Brett likes neither.

And after enjoying the whipped cream, a couple of chocolate chips that were mixed in with the whipped cream (I swear I tried to push them out of the way first, so that I was only taking the stuff Brett didn't want, but that's when he made the face you see in the above picture, so you can tell he had massive amounts of angriness inside of him. Then again, that could be, and probably is, just Brett all the time.), and cherry ...


... I realized I was craving something super-sweet too. Not a milkshake, not even a Chocomazing, but rather, a brownie sundae. I was craving it so hard I pined for it, in fact.


Alas, Holly never came back. Never. And I went sundae-less. Which is probably for the better, in terms of me not getting fatter. But was the other reason it was not the best Steak 'n' Shake experience ever. Because in addition to being super-awkward-looking in regards to my pining for a brownie sundae, I was relatively audible in voicing my hints at my desire for a brownie sundae.

And Holly was no where to be found.

I didn't cry in my chili, but I thought about it.

And then I decided to play the game on the back of the placemat instead. It was an anagram game. What else could the letters

LAL UYO NCA TEA KENPCAAS

spell, but

YEA ANULL TACO PANCAKES

?


Apparently, you can get your Taco Pancakes for just $3.99! (I don't know what the Yea Anull part is for, but whatevs.)

The company for the night was good though, despite Holly denying me my brownie sundae. We talked of many things, like cabbages and kings. By cabbage, I mean Christina Aguilera and her butchering of the National Anthem at the superbowl; by kings, I do not mean Fergie and the Black Eyed Peas' halftime show. We also talked of the computer gnomes that steal people's credit card information, so that they can make 15 copies of your credit card and promptly run them up on cold medicines at Walgreens, which they mistakenly think will cure them of their computer viruses without realizing that people medicines are not anti-virus programs. Brett deduced that the computer gnomes were clearly in cahoots with the sock monster, because he likes to use words like "cahoots" (or at least because I like to make it seem like he uses words like "cahoots") and because surely the sock monster has got to be in cahoots with SOMEONE so why NOT the computer gnomes?

As the night wound down, we headed out to get our group shot, and the other server in the building who rang us up was actually an enjoyable person. When he found out we were on a quest and that I was keeping up a blog, he said we should have ordered his special super awesome shake because it's "the best shake ever!" I argued and said it was no Chocomazing, but was glad that he seemed to like our idea.

Unlike Holly, whose response to our mention was more along the lines of what a normal person would probably think: "But why?" In the, "Don't you have anything better to do with your time?" tone of voice.

And no Holly, I don't. Don't be so critical!

And so, we let the guy server take our picture. 'Cause he actually liked the plan. And because Holly denied me my brownie sundae. Boo, Holly. Boo.


On the up side, Holly's denial did make me go out and buy the stuff to make my own brownie sundae at home. On the down side, I've now had three brownie sundaes in three days 'cause I need to finish off the brownies before they get hard and gross. ("That's what she said!" ... wait ....)

So if anyone wants a brownie sundae ... swing by my Pebble Pad. I promise I'll be nicer than Holly.

3 comments:

  1. According to my dictionary widget, "anull" isn't even a word...

    Sincerely, a Minnesotan who is up way too early to shovel out her car from the snowstorm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Largely because she spelled it wrong: "Annul".

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual, you're hilarious! So glad you're doing this. I think a Steak-n-Shake quest has been in the works for you for years, no? ;)

    ReplyDelete